May 2018

WHITE ROCK AMATEUR RADIO CLUB – 13 May 2018

Regular monthly Members Meeting

White Rock Amateur Radio Club Society
At the Centennial Arena Board Room
14600 North Bluff Road, White Rock, BC
 

Present:  Dave (VA7THO), Deme (VE7CRT), Jim (VE7UVL), Ralph (VE7OM), Eric (VA7NX), Stuart (VA7QB), and Jay (VE7KC).     

 

Believe it or not, there is a quorum as per club by-laws, with a majority of directors present, as well as ¼ of the membership, and at least one regular member.  

 

President Eric opened the members meeting at 3:02 pm local time.

 

Minutes: M/S/C Stuart (VA7QB) / Ralph (VE7OM) that the minutes of the 8 April 2018 meeting be approved as per the copy on the webpage, www.wrarc.ca

Financial report – Ralph reported that the balance is $1850.03, which includes some bank interest earned this month.  MSC Ralph (VE7OM) / Jay(VE7KC) – that the financial report be received for information.

 

Mini-Field Day May 5 – Review of the May the 5th: we worked Europe on an IC-7000, with a Buddipole as a quarter-wave vertical antenna.  We don’t know who took the log from the day but need to find out, probably Bill (WNO).  Sunshine and warm, radio condx were lousy but everyone had fun.  It is fun to do the mini-field-day.  We’d like more outings to lighthouses, mountaintops and islands.  Eric did his mountaintop check-in, the current TCA magazine has an article on a SOTA adventure.   Ken (VE7HI) is a well known SOTA chaser.

 

Field Day, Mini Field Day June 23 – Ralph has contacted the City of White Rock for parking in one of the parking lots at the beach.  But we are waiting for confirmation from the City.  We’d like the parking on the southside of the lot.  Jim (UVL) will bring his camper as a mobile shack.  Ralph will ask the city for 14 parking spots, has yet to hear from the Firechief.  We’ll try to go from 9 am to 3 pm, and the Field Day starts officially at 11 am.  We’ll use Don’s SteppIR antenna more details to follow.  Bring your own food, table and chairs.  Eric will bring a tent and table.  Kosta will bring his radio.  Bill’s or Eric’s IC-7000 will be available too.  Need to coordinate frequency use with Jim (UVL) who will operate out of his camper.

 

QSL Cards Received – Ralph will send a QSL to VE1WT because it was part of a SOTA on 3-Oct-2015 at 1900UTC.

Stuart responded to the DL5AWI station to let him know we have no record of a contact with him on 6-2-2016 at 17:57 UTC.

Stuart has not yet got stamps for the club’s use and had yet to send a receipt to Ralph.

 

PEP Checkins on Third Wednesday of the month – April 18 is done (Ralph VE7OM).  Next is May 16 (Jay VE7KC), June 20 (Jim L VE7BCJ), July 18th will be Pam and Don, Bill (WNO) will do Aug 15.

 

Juno Beach 75th Anniversary – We probably cannot proceed with organizing this.

Ralph has talked with the fellow who organized the Vimy Ridge celebration.  Ralph would have to apply for the callsign VE75JUNO, as well as see to the design of a QSL card, as well as appointing a QSL manager for the perhaps 10,000 contacts.  The Vimy experience is key to follow, as per working the differing provinces, and with an operation across Canada as a special event callsign. 

                This is for the 75th Anniversary of the DDay landings in France.  There will be many activities in Canada for then.  Ralph will look into the costs, but Ralph is assured that “finances is not an issue” according to the Vimy organizer.  Logging the contacts is an issue, and requires a lot of lead-time to set up.

                From last meeting Don (VA7GL) / Stuart (VA7QB) authorized Ralph to investigate this and put together a plan as well as find out if other clubs might be doing something. 

                Ralph surmises that as worthwhile that this is, it may be too much for our club to undertake.  There may not be enough time to put it together.  It’s too bad, but these things can get out of hand in organization.  Too many things to do too few people to do them.

                As a reminder, this November is the 100th Anniversary of the 1918 Armistice.

 

SOTA on Saturday, May 19 – Ralph and Eric are going to McKee Peak near Abbotsford.  Eric will be on the 2M calling frequency, Ralph will be 20M 14.060 plus or minus.

                There’s lots of SOTA opportunities this summer.

 

Beaches on the Air – Eric will be at Chilliwack Lake May 26, will activate voice on 20M.

 

Tunkwa Lake – Jim (UVL) be activating on May 25 & 26th.

 

 

Stuart (VA7QB) moved we adjourn the regular members’ meeting, adjournment at 3:38 pm (local).