October 2018

WHITE ROCK AMATEUR RADIO CLUB – 14 October 2018
Regular monthly Members Meeting
White Rock Amateur Radio Club Society
At the Centennial Arena Board Room
14600 North Bluff Road, White Rock, BC

 
Present:  Jim (VE7BCJ), Ralph (VE7OM), Bill (VE7WNO), Jim (VE7UVL), Jay (VE7KC), Pam (VE7PFH), Don (VA7GL), Kosta (VA7FFT), Eric (VA7NX - via FaceTime), Jim (VE7ABH) and Stuart (VA7QB).      
 
There is a quorum as per club by-laws, with a majority of directors present, as well as ¼ of the membership, and at least one regular member.  
 
Vice-President Jim (VE7UVL) convened/presided over the meeting and called it to order at 3:05 pm, with the President available on FaceTime feed .  Eric attended from VE3-land via a FaceTime link as a full voting member as per ruling by the president.  Eric has his KX2 but does not have enough antenna to get into our local net.  Eric might do some IRLP.
 
Minutes: M/S/C Stuart (VA7QB) / Pam (VE7PFH) that the minutes of the 9 September 2018 meeting be approved as per the copy on the webpage, www.wrarc.ca. 
 

Card for Brett Garrett’s Family (VE7GM), plus issues of his Estate - Stuart passed around a card intended for Brett Garrett’s family, now that the Hamilton’s are here with contact info.  Don passed on info about Brett’s situation, including his illness.  It caught us all off guard and was quite shocking.  He had been 67 years old and was a Ph.D. Electrical Engineer with an important job at Hydro.  Don is advising the estate about Brett’s ham gear - including some requests of equipment concerning local hams, with the rest to be sold with proceeds to local clubs.  Don has consulted with the ORCA president, and will consult further with the presidents of the three clubs Brett had identified.

RAC Director’s Insurance for 2019 - the information is here for us to apply for 2019 Director’s Insurance and our 2019 RAC Club fee before the end of the year.  The 2019 assessment rate for our club is based on June 2018 membership levels.

Financial report – Dues paid after September 1 are credited for membership for the rest of the 2018 year, as well as 2019.  Ralph reported that the balance is $2030.03 as of the end of September 2018.
MSC Ralph (VE7OM) / Stuart(VA7QB) – that the financial report be received as reported for information.

Invitation from the Surrey ARC Christmas Lunch - @ Guildford Golf and Country Club, $25 if RSVP by Nov 30, and $30 after.  Lunch will be at 11 am Dec 8th with a private room.

WRARC Christmas Dinner - Jim (UVL) reported on progress so far.  He is looking at Monday December 3rd as a provisional date.  With a date in mind he can approach a place like The Roadhouse, and then perhaps Kosmos.  If the date doesn’t work out Jim (UVL) can negotiate another date.

Access to Antenna at Centennial Arena - Eric has successfully negotiated with Theresa at Centennial Arena, who we can contact and see if the Boardroom is available and then she can let us in for ham operations, using the installed antenna.  This is a possibility during off-season, but make sure you phone first 9-4:30 pm Mon-Fri and she can arrange perhaps even an evening.  604-541-2161.  Thank you to The President for negotiating this on behalf of the club.

Nov 17 Saturday ARRL Sweepstakes - afternoon start.  Probably a 2100 UTC start (1pm local PST) and we are booked already by the Centennial Arena staff.  So we can come in at noon PST to set-up.  It is the biggest contest of the year, it is eclipsed only by Field Day.

Eric & Ralph to Lecture to Langley ARC - about SOTA Nov 13 at 7 pm.  Everyone encouraged to attend.  Eric will e-mail club members about location, at Langley Centre where they hold their meetings.  On Douglas Crescent.

** NEW MEETING DATE for AGM ** November 18, 2018 AGM - Eric has requested that he does not want to stand as president after the AGM.  We now have notice that he does not wish to continue in that capacity, although would allow his name to stand as a director.
MSC - Lyster/Webb - that our AGM be delayed a week and held on Nov 18, 2018 at 3 pm, because of the Remembrance Day observance being the week before, the 11th, which is our normal date.  Ralph will send an e-mail to satisfy proper notice to all the other members not here.

PEP Checkins on Third Wednesday of the month – Oct 17 is Stuart (VA7QB) but Stuart cannot make it so Don agreed to fill in. Stuart thanks Don for seeing to this.  November 21 is Jay (VE7KC), Kosta (VA7FFT) Dec 19, and Jim (VE7BCJ) is Jan 16.

Repeater Committee - As a legacy to Brett, we need to revisit the proper relocation of our repeater.  Hopefully we can get re-energized about this.  Brett had had a hand-written note to this in his will, and Don heard this from Brett’s sister.
 
 
Presentation Possibilities
- Fred VE7IO is an experienced contest operator, he might give us a full description of what it entails.  Members might wish to think of technical building projects of interest to club members, or what SOTA entails or a training session on logging software, including how to upload to other more generic pages, like Logbook Of The Air.  There are issues for Canadians submitting to an American logging service to be aware of.   Maybe a review of where M1MM is these days.  We will raise this again next month.

 
Stuart (VA7QB) moved we adjourn the regular members’ meeting, adjournment at 3:44 pm (local).